Where to find assistance

Statewide and Regional Resources

Area Agency on Aging
Senior programs that provide in-home services are a possible source of assistance. Call 1-866-243-5678, to be connected to your Area Agency on Aging.

Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force
The mission of the Task Force is to educate Central Ohio residents about bed bugs, bed bug prevention and the best methods of getting rid of the bugs. The Task Force web site offers extensive information. It also hosts meetings and an annual conference. You canrequest trainingandsubmit questions

Cuyahoga County Bed Bug Task Force
The Task Force was formed to assist to increase the public’s awareness of the growing local bed bug concern. The group meets regularly at the offices of the Cuyahoga County Board of Health.

Ohio Department of Health, Zoonotic Disease Program 614-752-1029
Call the Ohio Department of Health with questions about bed bug infestations.

Ohio Legal Services 1.866.LAW.OHIO (1.866.529.6446)
To find a civil legal aid provider, call or find assistance by city or zip code.

RHINO is the Rental Housing Information Network in Ohio. The website has information on tenants rights when faced with bed bugs and offers newsletters.

The Ohio State University Extension – Fact Sheet on Bed Bugs
Susan C. Jones Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Entomology, Extension Specialist, Household and Structural Pests, is a well-known expert on the topic of bed bugs. Contact her at the Department of Entomology.

Assistance by City and County


Canton City Health Department 330-489-3327
Provides information and guidance. Encourages residents to call before using pesticides.


Cincinnati Health Department
Bed Bugs Instruction and Education 513-352-2922
Can answer questions and provide information. See brochure on Bed Bug Treatment. The city’s Code Enforcement office does not conduct inspections for bed bug complaints.

Cincinnati Health Department, Healthy Homes assessments 513-352-2908
The Cincinnati Health Department conducts Healthy Homes Assessments. You may find their advice helpful in addressing an infestation as well as other health and safety items.

Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati 513-241-9400>
Through the Tenant Representation Project, the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati provides legal representation for low-income tenants who have legal problems related to tenant-landlord relations, including evictions, lockouts, landlord interference with utility service, enforcement of housing and health codes, and other tenant rights.

Housing Opportunities Made Equal (HOME) 513-721-4663
HOME may be helpful if you are disabled and need reasonable accommodation in preparing for bed bug treatment of your unit. HOME assists people who believe they may be victims of illegal housing discrimination. HOME helps them gather evidence to support a claim of illegal discrimination and discuss enforcement options. HOME also works with those who are experiencing difficulty maintaining their rental housing for reasons ranging from tenant/landlord issues to lack of resources.

Tenant Information Project (TIP) 513-556-0053
The Tenant Information Project (TIP) is a volunteer organization of the University of Cincinnati’s law school. TIP provides legal information to callers concerning landlord/tenant law. No questions by email or in person. Should a person require legal advice or more in-depth assistance, TIP volunteers can direct the call to other agencies and lawyers in Cincinnati.

Clermont County

Clermont County Public Health 513-732-7499
Call or submit a complaint online about bed bug infestations. According to the Department’s website, “…If bed bugs or other vermin are found in a rental unit the landlord or manager is responsible for hiring an exterminator since an exterminator cannot treat without the owner’s permission…” Additional information is available at “Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite!”


Cleveland Department of Public Health 216-664-2300
Provides inspection or education on methods of clean up regarding a variety of health hazards in the home environment including bed bugs. Public health will inspect tenants’ homes for bedbugs and cite landlords but will not inspect homeowners. To file a complaint, call and leave a message. If bedbugs are suspected, dial the Vector Control inspector. See also an e-mail contact and information at Cleveland Department of Public Health, Bed Bugs. (Information from 211.)

Cleveland Department of Aging 216-664-2833
Adults over 65 and/or who are disabled can contact the Department for assistance with extermination. Income and residency guidelines do apply. Additional information is available at Cleveland Dept. of Aging Bed Bug Assistance Program Info. & Application

Cleveland Tenants Organization 216-432-0617
Provides information and services for renters and landlords in Cuyahoga County, including Eviction Diversion Services and forms for renters.


City of Columbus, Code Enforcement Division 311
To report an infestation, call 311. For information about bed bugs, call 614-645-0153.

The City of Columbus will inspect single-family unit and multi-unit apartment buildings. In Columbus, treatment for bed bug infestations in single-family homes, duplexes and 3-unit properties are the responsibility of the homeowner or tenant(s). Owners of multi-unit rental properties are responsible for bed bug infestations. Tenants in multi-family buildings of four units and over can call 311 to make a complaint about a bed bug infestation. The complaint will be assigned to a code enforcement officer who will inspect for bed bugs at the address.

If bed bugs are found in at least one unit in the property, the City will order the owner to treat the infestation. If the owner is willing to treat but tenants will not cooperate by preparing their unit for treatment, the City will not proceed with enforcement of the order. If the owner fails to treat and tenant cooperation is not an issue, the case will be referred to Environmental Court. There is no City ordinance that bars owners from charging tenants for the cost of treatment. Check your lease to find out if there is a clause or addendum about bed bug infestations.

Columbus Public Health has a great deal of information on their website, including materials in other languages including Spanish and Somali. However, the Health Department does not take public health complaints for bed bugs as they are not currently a disease vector.

Cuyahoga County

Cuyahoga County Board of Health, Division of Senior and Adult Services 216-420-6700
Adults over 65 and/or who are disabled can contact the Board of Health for assistance with extermination. Income and residency guidelines do apply. Additional information on these programs is available at the links listed below. Cuyahoga County Div. of Senior & Adult Services Bed Bug Assistance Program Info. Cuyahoga County Div. of Senior & Adult Services Bed Bug Assistance Program Application.

Delaware County

Delaware County General Health District 740-368-1700
The Health District provides free bed bug awareness workshops for residents of Delaware County.

Franklin County

Franklin County Public Health, Bed Bug Information 614-525-3160
If you are a tenant who is dealing with bed bugs, and you live in Franklin County, the Health Department may be able to help you. There are conditions for receiving help: you have to live in a multi-family building; you have notified your landlord about the bed bugs and he has refused to treat your building; your building has been treated, but the bed bugs have not been eradicated; more than 10% of the units in the building are infested. If these conditions exist in your building, you can file a complaint at the number provided above. There will be an investigation of the bed bug infestation and the landlord may be ordered to treat the building. If less than 10% of the units are infested, or you live in a single-family house, orders will be sent to the landlord and the tenant.

Franklin County Office on Aging 614-525-6200

Franklin County Senior Options (FCSO) helps residents of Franklin County, Ohio, age 60 and older maintain their independence. While bed bug assistance is not a listed service, the program may be a source of assistance for existing clients.

Hamilton County

Hamilton County Health Department, Housing and Nuisance Program 513-946-7800
If you rent a home or apartment within Hamilton County (excluding cities of Cincinnati, Norwood, Sharonville or Springdale) and you think you have bed bugs, contact Hamilton County Public Health. Sanitarians will work with you and your landlord to eliminate the problem.


Union County Health Department 937-642-2053
The Union County Health Department can identify a bed bug if you believe you have an infestation. Bring the bug in a sealed container to the health department for identification anytime, Monday through Friday, from 8am to 4pm. The Department can provide advice/guidance, but no remediation for bed bugs.

Warren County

Warren County Combined Health District, Bed Bugs 513-695-1220 or 513-925-1220
If you have what you believe to be is evidence of bed bugs or an insect you believe to be a bed bug, one of our Public Health Environmentalists can do an inspection of your sleeping area or examine any bed bug you may have captured in a container or zip lock bag. We have neither the time nor the staff to conduct inspections of any house or apartment if you have not at least identified some evidence of bed bugs” (from the District’s website). In the case of a multi-family building, where there are two or more apartments with a bed bug infestation, the owner or landlord is responsible for either bringing in the licensed pest control professional or for treating themselves both the apartments infested as well as any adjacent apartment within 20 feet of the infested apartments sleeping area” (from Bed Bugs, an informational pamphlet.)


Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department 740-454-9741 Ext 232
Consultation/referrals by staff to residents or organizations affected by bed bugs. Matt Hemmer, RS is the contact for bed bug infestations.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as professional or expert advice. No recipients of content from this site should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate professional or expert advice.