Where to find assistance

Statewide and Regional Resources

Ohio Department of Health, Healthy Homes Program 1-877-532-3723
The Healthy Homes Program of the Ohio Department of Health provides guidance by phone on mold and moisture.

Southwest Ohio Air Quality Agency 513-946-7777
Residents can access mold and pollen reports on-line and also call the Air Quality Pollen and Mold Hotline at 513-946-7753 for pollen and mold counts of the previous 24-hour period.

Ohio Legal Services 1-866-529-6446
To find a civil legal aid provider, call or find assistance by city or zip code.

RHINO (Rental Housing Information Network in Ohio) is an on-line network of individuals, groups and organizations committed to working on rental housing issues and tenants rights. Membership is free.

Assistance by City and County


Canton City Health Department, Indoor Air Quality Program 330-489-3327
Residents can call with indoor air quality questions, including mold.


City of Cincinnati, Code Enforcement 513-591-6000
Visit the code enforcement Request link or call the above hotline to submit a request to Cincinnati code enforcement. All complaints are public.

Clark County

Clark County Combined Health District Indoor Air Quality 937-390-5600
The Clark County Combined Health District provides consultation services to the public on indoor health concerns including mold. The Health District can arrange an indoor air quality assessment of homes and businesses to help occupants identify the causes of breathing problems, mold issues, allergy triggers and asthma issues. There is no cost for this service.

Clermont County

Clermont County Public Health, Housing Complaints and Mold Information 513-732-7499
Clermont County Public Health investigates complaints about mold, water/plumbing leaks, water supply and heating facilities at rental properties only. A complaint from a current occupant or close relative of the occupant is required. Removal of ten square feet or more of visible black mold is generally the responsibility of the landlord. Public Health does not require mold removal or remediation in owner occupied or vacant dwellings.


Cleveland Department of Public Health, Environmental Health Investigations, 216-664-4135. Conducts investigations of public nuisances that are violations of the City of Cleveland Health Code including unsanitary conditions. Residents can submit an Environment Complaints Form or send a complaint to the Deputy Commissioner of Environment.


City of Columbus, Code Enforcement 311
The Columbus code enforcement division does not have a code for mold but it does address water leaks and moisture that cause mold. To file a complaint, call 311. The complaint will be assigned to a code enforcement officer who will inspect the property. To visit the 311 website where you can file a complaint, click here.

Columbus Public Health, Healthy Homes Program 614-645-8191
Columbus Public Health (CPH) does not provide inspections for mold complaints. However, Healthy Homes Program staff is available to discuss concerns about the impact of mold on your health, answer questions or to provide information. Call or write Phillip Bouton. CPH will conduct assessments for mold and other hazards when they receive a referral from a medical office that is related to a diagnosed health issue.

Cuyahoga County

Cuyahoga County Board of Health, Environmental Health, Nuisance Reporting 216-201-2020, ext. 1241 (Vector Control and Nuisances) or you can send an e-mail. The Board of Health offers residents an opportunity to report conditions that may be a public health hazard and have them investigated. Areas of investigation include Housing, Indoor Air Quality and Nuisance Abatement. Reports will be followed up by an investigation. Residents of Cuyahoga County are eligible with the exception of Cleveland and Shaker Heights. To report a complaint on-line, click here.

Dayton and Montgomery County

Dayton and Montgomery County Public Health, Nuisance Abatement 937-225-4362
The Nuisance Abatement Program investigates conditions in residential property in unincorporated areas of Montgomery County. Public health nuisance conditions are resolved through a process of public education and code enforcement.

City of Dayton Building Inspection
The Division of Building Inspection of the City’s Office of Economic Development is primarily responsible for assuring compliance with commercial and residential building construction codes. 937-333-3883

Franklin County

Franklin County Public Health, Health Nuisances 614-525-3160
Franklin County Public Health responds to aid investigates public health nuisance complaints, including unsanitary housing or living conditions. Call to register a complaint.

Hamilton County

Hamilton County Public Health, Housing and Nuisance Program 513-946-7800
The purpose of the program is to provide inspections and consultation in response to customer complaints. The program is regularly called to assist and resolve a variety of complaints including mold inspections in rental situations and sewage and flooding complaints (no services in the cities of Cincinnati, Norwood and Springdale; contact those cities directly for assistance). To file a complaint, click here.


City of Kettering 937-296-2430
Contact the city with complaints about mold.

Knox County

Knox County Health Department, Mold 740-392-2200, Ext. 2222
Contact the Environmental Health Division with specific concerns or questions about mold in your home, workplace, school or other location.

Lorain County

Lorain County General Health District, Environmental Health 440-322-6367
The Health District is available to answer questions about mold clean up and flooded basements. See their fact sheet for clean up procedures.

Lake County

Lake County General Health District, Mold 440-350-2543
Health District Environmental Sanitarians are available to inspect homes if mold issues occur in rental properties. Many times mold remediation is ordered ranging from general cleaning to removal of the affected material. The Health Department does not test for mold identification. Contact an Environmental Sanitarian with any questions.

Medina County

Medina Health Department 1-888-723-9688
Mold Brochure – Mold Clean Up, Removal & Safety Concerns

The Health Department does not provide mold inspections. The Department receives many inquiries about landlords who will not sufficiently or promptly correct mold contamination in rental properties. “A landlord is obligated to make repairs to rental dwellings as long as the proper procedure is followed, and a reasonable time period has been defined. If a landlord does not fix problems that may be causing mold contamination, and help clean up mold, the tenant may look into making escrow rent payments, request the court to order the repairs be made by the landlord, or find a way to legally end the rental agreement. Please contact the Medina County Fair Housing Office for informational brochures on the right way to ask for repairs to rentals. Legal advice is always recommended in these instances. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may qualify for assistance from Legal Aid (see Ohio Legal Services).

Richland County

Richland Public Health, Healthy homes program 419-774-4520
Areas of focus for Richland Public Health in the Healthy Homes Program includes mold and asthma and allergy control. The agency will provide phone consultations, information and referrals to services for landlords, tenants and homeowners.

Shaker Heights

City of Shaker Heights, Health Services 216-491-1400
Environmental Health services include information about black mold inspections. According to their 2014 annual report, the City conducts mold investigations mostly from referrals from University Hospital for newborns but will also investigate homes based on request.

Warren County

Warren County Combined Health District, Housing Program 513-695-1220
The Warren County Board of Health responds to complaints on premise maintenance issues outside the home and also on maintenance and cleanliness issues inside the home. If a landlord has not responded to a maintenance report from a tenant and the problem has not been resolved in a reasonable period of time, complete the Nuisance Complaint Form and return it to their office. An inspector will respond and issue orders to the landlord to correct the problem. Environmental Health is available to answer questions about mold and moisture. Services are countywide except for the City of Middletown.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as professional or expert advice. No recipients of content from this site should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate professional or expert advice.